Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Strongsville, Ohio, USA:

My doctor has treated me with oral medication for my diabetes for the last 12 years, but over the past two years, my numbers continue to go up, and my last A1c was 12.4%, my highest yet, so he has referred me to an endocrinologist. What can an endocrinologist do for me? What should I expect?


An endocrinologist is a physician who has extra training in the care of diseases such as diabetes. You may find that the expertise that consultation brings can help you to lower your hemoglobin A1c to a more normal level and provide you with a decreased risk for complications from your diabetes. I agree that 12.4% is much too high and needs aggressive intervention.


[Editor's comment: See When should a person with diabetes be referred to an endocrinologist?, Physician Credentialing, and Clinical Practice Recommendations from the American Diabetes Association. SS]

Original posting 1 Mar 2002
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:30
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.