Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Benicia, California, USA:

I have an 11 year old student, diagnosed with diabetes two years ago, whose family cannot afford health care, and this child is suffering. This is as financial hardship situation. Can you guide me to find health care and medication for her?


Thank you for taking an interest in your student. No child needs to go without access to medical care. California has a program called Healthy Families which provides free or low cost health insurance for children of working adults. Even if the family would not normally qualify for the MediCal program or they are undocumented aliens, the children would be covered by Healthy Families. Program. Information is available in 11 different languages through a toll-free telephone number (1-888-747-1222), Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. For more information, please visit the Healthy Families website. If the parent refuses to obtain medical assistance for the child, then you must contact the child welfare authorities.


Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

Contact local health department and/or hospital and talk with social services. The child may qualify for such assistance as Medicaid.


Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

The first step would be to try to enroll the child in MediCal and perhaps the California CHP (Child Health Program) for those that are a little above the poverty line. This would provide both care and supplies.


Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

I have a section of links on health care at the bottom of one of my Web pages. See the section headed "Financial Aid" at On-line Diabetes Resources.


Original posting 9 Apr 2002
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.