Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Big Timber, Montana, USA:

I am a soon-to-be 30 year old mother of five who has had many problems that I feel are "sugar" related, mainly, severe headaches that include wavy vision, numbness in hands, arms, face, tongue, interference with thought process, sick stomachache. These episodes (which is what I now call my headaches) are debilitating and very scary.I also have an increasing amount of broken veins, and my main veins are getting "rope-like". For three years or so, I have had numbness/tingly toes. My maternal grandmother, paternal grandfather, and now mother all had/have type 2 diabetes so I am very frightened. What type of blood test should I ask for to determine diabetes? Do you feel I am looking in the right direction to find answers?


We can't diagnose in this venue. You can ask your physician to do a fasting blood glucose. If it is greater than 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] on two occasions, it is diabetes. It is pretty easy to tell, just ask. Symptoms that are nonspecific are just that and often difficult to pin down. Diabetes isn't.


[Editor's comment: See symptoms of diabetes and Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]

Original posting 25 Apr 2002
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.