Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Wakefield, Rhode Island, USA:

I'm 58, I have type 2 diabetes treated with insulin, and I don't have health insurance. I'm able to get my insulin through my doctor and a pharmacy assistance plan, but don't test my blood sugar because I have no strips. I also have not have my eyes examined in three years, even though I have two small cataracts which are supposed to be monitored every six months, and I know the risk of retinopathy. I've called my local American Diabetes Association affiliate and left messages for them to call me, know if there are any programs that can help me but they don't respond. Do you know of resources in Rhode Island?


There are a number of resources in Rhode Island for people with diabetes including the Diabetes Resource Center with locations in Providence and Central Falls: (401) 456-4419. They assist with medication and supplies, including strips and glucose monitors for the underinsured and uninsured.

You may also wish to contact the Diabetes Emergency Assistance Program through the Diabetes Foundation of RI (401) 725-7800. They provide funds for diabetes related medication, insurance, and/or food (needs determined on a case-by-case basis).

There is also a National Eye Care Project 1-800-222-EYES(3937) by the Rhode Island Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons which provides medical eye exams and treatment for disadvantaged seniors who do not have health insurance and have not had an eye exam within the last three years.


Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

The only resource I can suggest is to seek coverage from the State's Medicaid program. They cover basic health needs including blood glucose monitoring strips as well as medically necessary services, like treatment of cataracts. Contact your local town or state social services office to learn more about the requirements of enrollment in the Medicaid program.


[Editor's comment: In any state, you can contact your local or State health department to inquire about available resources. WWQ]

Original posting 13 May 2002
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.