From Richmond, British Columbia, Canada:

I am a 19 years old female, Chinese, 5 feet 7 inches tall, and weigh about 137 pounds. About a week ago I had extreme fatigue and realized that I was going to washroom a lot (three to four times in an hour). If I was hungry, I became pale, shaky, and very irritable. If I am full my body aches like if I had a flu. My vision would be blurry. My skin was very itchy. If I starve myself, I felt nauseous and want to throw up when I get to eat. I had some stomachache, and had softer-than-usual (but not watery) stools. I got my period a few days ago, and my symptoms decreased greatly. Now I feel that I am almost normal. During the two days my symptoms were most severe I did not seek for medical help.

Diabetes does not run in my family. Could I have diabetes? If so, why did I feel better after my period came? I read about honeymoon periods, but can it happen to a person who is not diagnosed?

I am glad you feel better. At this point, I cannot tell what caused your symptoms. However, several symptoms (including the frequent urination and visual symptoms) are associated with diabetes. You need to speak with a physician so that you can be checked for diabetes or other problems.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.