From Bedford, Pennsylvania, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10 and had all the classic symptoms, except excessive hunger. I was so sick, I couldn't eat anything and was never hungry. Do you have any idea why?

Someone with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes can get any or all of the classic symptoms, although of them seem to be more common than others. In your case, I think the severity of your illness greatly inhibited the hunger.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.