From Houston, Texas, USA:

My 32 year old sister is currently pregnant, has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and was put on insulin. I believe that there is a history of diabetes in my family. Is there anything I can do to prevent developing gestational diabetes myself? I am not pregnant, but I am interested in preventative measures.

Just because your sister developed gestational diabetes, that does not mean that you will. Maintaining a reasonable weight, exercising, and eating an appropriate diet are good measures, but not absolutely preventative.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.