From Cardiff, United Kingdom:

I have had type 1 diabetes for the past 12 years, and to be honest, have only recently been accepting of the consequences of bad control. My last A1c was 11% and has been around that level since diagnosis, despite varied routines.

At the moment, I am following a fairly low carb diet, which I know is not the norm, but I am fed up with constantly high blood sugars (11-13 mmol/L [198-234 mg/dl]). The response has always been to increase my insulin levels, but even then my sugar levels did not seem to go down. I am finding it very hard to get across to my diabetes team that I do not binge on sugary foods. Is it possible that I have an insulin intolerance as well as Type 1 diabetes since I also have PCOS? For instance today, I have taken my insulin, and have not eaten any carbohydrate at all, but my sugars have been steadily high all day? I want to avoid taking high levels of insulin as it exacerbates my PCOS. Is it possible that I have an insulin intolerance as well as type 1 diabetes since I also have PCOS?

I feel no ill effects of my diabetes, but know that I must get my levels under control to continue to enjoy my problem free life.

If you really have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, you have insulin resistance, and maybe both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Ask your doctor about using Glucophage [metformin] (up to 2 grams a day) as another treatment. I would believe it will improve insulin resistance and make things better.

Posted to Daily Care and Diagnosis and Symptoms

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.