From Alexandria, Egypt:

My husband, who has had type 2 diabetes for only two weeks, had urine albumin/creatinine ratio of 115 mg/g creatinine. He repeated the test the next day in another lab and the urine albumin was 16 mg/l with a urinary creatinine of 112 mg/dl. Does he have microalbuminuria for sure? If so, what should we do?

If my math is correct the result is 14.2 mg/g creatinine. The threshold for an abnormal response is greater than 30 mg/g creatinine. Patients can have false positive microalbumin results as a result of increased dietary protein intake, high blood sugar, vigorous exercise, and it can be acutely decreased with the use of specific blood pressure medications. I would suggest your husband have another specimen taken in the near future to determine the trend.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.