Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

My son is currently seen in a diabetes clinic at the children's hospital, but they currently have around 100 kids to a physician. I would love to find a doctor who takes Medicaid and/or Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance, and I have not been successful so far. Are there any pediatric endocrinologists in my area in private practice?


Contact Blue Cross/Blue Shield and ask them if they have a pediatric endocrinologist in their network.


Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

It should be easy enough to:
  1. Look in the local yellow pages.
  2. Call the local medical society or American Diabetes Association affiliate and inquire.
  3. Call the staff at your son's primary care doctor, or even his current endocrinologist, and simply ask.


[Editor's comment: One hundred kids per physician really is a good ratio, and I doubt very much that any program will provide a lower one. Pediatric diabetes centers are usually teams composed of Certified Diabetes Educators (nurses, dietitians, social workers, etc.) who are extremely knowledgeable about diabetes in children and who work with the physicians. They typically are readily available to provide the support you need. In addition, pediatric diabetes centers offer a myriad of educational and social opportunities you will not find in the private practice setting.

If you are currently having problems with your son's diabetes team, I would suggest that you set up a conference to address your concerns. SS]

[Editor's comment: Also, see Finding a New Diabetes Doctor at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts that might help. WWQ]

Original posting 20 Jun 2002
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.