Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Idaho, USA:

I live in a rural area and we only have general practitioners, and mine is treating me pro-bono right now until we have an income again.

My case has my general practitioner shaking his head and throwing more medications at me without much help. I am in need of finding a specialist to go over my diabetes records and give me an opinion. Since I am without income at this time, I would need this to be non-fee help.


It doesn't seem as though your problem is urgent, so perhaps the first step is to get enrolled in Medicaid and then to ask your present doctor for a referral to a hospital-based endocrine clinic.


[Editor's comment: Your physician should be able to call to the nearest medical school or other major medical center, and get some general advice that would help guide your care until you can arrange to see a specialist. Such informal consultation between two physicians about difficult cases is common. WWQ]

Original posting 23 Jun 2002
Posted to Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.