Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Pittston, Pennsylvania, USA:

For about nine months, just about every day, my 14 year old son, who has typeá1 diabetes, has been complaining of abdominal pain which he says feels like something is exploding in his right side to both his family doctor and endocrinologist. They did a ultrasound of the gallbladder, an upper GI (which were normal), and a CBC which was also okay, except for elevated eosinophils. They have this kid thinking it is in his head. His endocrinologist said if he keeps complaining, they will do an ultrasound of his liver. My son has a problem with high blood sugars and currently is using the continuous glucose monitoring system for 72 hours to see what's going on. What other tests can I request for the abdominal pain?


It's impossible to make any diagnosis without a complete history and exam, and it sounds like they have already done a lot of tests. Large swings in blood glucose levels can sometimes produce such symptoms as can nonspecific constipation.

Occasionally, celiac disease presents like this, and celiac disease can be subtle but co-exists with typeá1 diabetes in about 5-8% of kids in our practice. The best test would be a tissue transglutaminase antibody.

Lactose intolerance sometimes causes such problems as excess gas is produced. Avoiding all milk products for three to five days -- if the pains stop and resume when milk is reintroduced, then this is a likely culprit. Go back and check with your son's doctors; perhaps get a GI consultation as well.


[Editor's comment: If your son's blood sugars are continually high, and he has ketones, this could account for the pain. If this is the case, improvement in control should alleviate it. SS]

Original posting 6 Jul 2002
Posted to Aches and Pains and Hyperglycemia and DKA


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:36
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.