From Denmark:

I am a young adult with type 2 diabetes. I have noticed a darkening of my skin color in the following places: skin that covers toes, ankle area, knees, elbows and a slight discoloration on knuckles and actual fingers. Under my arms and along the sides of my waist I have dark velvety patches, which I think could be acanthosis nigricans, however, the other places mentioned above do not look the same.

Is this caused by my insulin resistance? Should I be taking another medication? Can this be lessened or cured ?

Acanthosis Nigricans as you have suggested, is a skin condition associated with insulin resistance and a high risk of type 2 diabetes. It characteristically occurs around the neck and underarms but may occur other places. It has a smooth and velvety appearance with the color being darker than the surrounding skin. You will have to have a physician look at the area to be sure.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.