Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From a school nurse:

I am a school nurse caring for a student with type 1 diabetes. My difficulty is that the child's father who is divorced from the mother will not give parental consent to allow me to administer the prescribed insulin at noon time. I am an experienced RN and I do not believe it is a trust issue but rather an "control" issue. There is a bitter custody battle ensuing and he does not want his daughter to have any injections while at school. The mother and doctor agree that when her blood sugar is over 250, she should receive the insulin. I cannot administer any medication without parental consent from both parents. My main concern of course is for the long-term effects this will have on this student. She often runs blood sugars over 300. Our healthcare plan is non-existent without a team effort.

Do I have any recourse with an unreasonable parent? And what liability do I have in letting a known diabetic be in school without proper medical intervention when needed? The doctor's office is considering notifying DCFS. In the meantime, where do I stand?


My first and only advice must be to seek the counsel of the attorney with the school district. Some of the issues here are:

  1. Sometimes a court awards temporary custody of the children to a parent during the custody proceeding. If it's one parent alone, they make decisions about medical care.
  2. Sometimes a court appoints an attorney to represent the rights of the children in a custody proceeding. If so, they should be made aware of health care and welfare issues affecting the children.
  3. One could write a letter to the court (judge) explaining problems concerning the health and welfare of the children. The judge might issue hold a hearing at which parents would have to explain and defend their decisions into the status of the children.
  4. One could file a complaint with the child welfare authorities.

Please go to the school district attorney and discuss these issues with him or her.


Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

File a CHINS (Child in Need of Services) petition or have the school lawyer handle this for you. This way, the courts can decide who is the custodial parent and force the parents to come to some agreement.

You should also discuss this dilemma directly with the child's diabetes team since they should be able to intervene as well. If only one parent has legal custody, then you do not need both parent's permission. If both parents have legal custody jointly, then you must act in the child's best interests to the best of your ability.


Original posting 31 Aug 2002
Posted to School and Daycare and Other Social Issues


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.