Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From the Pacific Northwest, USA:

I am 46 years old, retired on disability for diabetes and neuropathy, and have a good income from my pension and social security, but my two teenage daughters age are feeling very "caught up " in my illness. My 14 year old can't understand why I have to take an enormous amounts of medications to try to stabilize my health problems. I can't change that, and I won't ever get any better. I may stabilize, but I might get worse.

My daughters feel my depression is rubbing off them and that I need to "start doing something to make myself happy". In actuality, however, some days I can't even get out of bed. I used to do things with my girls all the time, but now I can't even drive because of the opiates I have to take for pain around the clock. I don't know how to talk to them anymore, I feel I have put a crimp in their lives, and I don't want them to feel depressed because I am.

I am at my wits' end and am ready to go live with my mother in another state. She has offered for me to live there for awhile, but I know I need to be close to my wife and kids. I just feel I'm a burden and not understood or appreciated. I love my kids and love to be with them, but they don' t understand me so I thought a peer support group in a like situation would be the best thing. Is there a support group for kids who have disabled parents with constant pain?


I suggest you look for a good pain center near you. Perhaps they can help you with your medication, give you physical therapy to help you become more mobile, and hopefully provide psychological support for you and your family. The more you are inactive, the worse your condition may become. You need help to be as "active" as your condition will allow you to be. I'd focus your goals for "activity" on family activities.


Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Sounds like some family counseling would be very helpful. Your own doctor may also know of some support groups and counselors. A good therapist will help you explain some of this situation to the rest of your family, allow them to express their own worries and concerns and also help you express your own frustrations with the situation.


Original posting 15 Oct 2002
Posted to Other Social Issues


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.