Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From South Dakota, USA:

When I search your website, I see several areas which answer questions about how schools handle blood glucose testing, but I can never find anything on South Dakota schools. Do you know how I can get this information?


I would expect that the chief of the State Health Department or the school department in the State capitol has such information. You should discuss this with either the principal or the school nurse and see if they can provide you some information as well. The ADA and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation web sites as well as CWD websites have information about school regulations and laws, ideas how to proceed if you are getting the run-around or if you think that there is some discrimination against your child with diabetes. Parents must serve as the key advocate for their child's diabetes health in school.


Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

Another option is to contact the South Dakota Department of Education, Special Services Unit.


Original posting 14 Nov 2002
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.