Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Houston, Texas, USA:

Over the last few years, especially since retirement, my father's type 1 diabetes has been more out of control (excessive weight gain, obsession with sweets) possibly linked to depression. Can you recommend a doctor or facility that specializes in diabetes and depression encompassing both mental and physical treatment?


Retirement is a watershed event for anyone, and it may very well be that it has caused some depression in your dad. I would strongly advise contacting a counselor with expertise in life stage issues and get some feedback. Your dad may need some fine tuning of his insulin by an endocrinologist as well.

I am unfamiliar with your area geographically, but I am certain that both a competent counselor and an endocrinologist are accessible in the Houston area.


Original posting 17 Feb 2003
Posted to Behavior


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.