Question:

A company offers an ephedra-free weight-loss product with the following ingredients and claims:

• Forskolin - optimizes your overall body composition. Forskolin breaks down the fat in your body and actually increases lean body mass. You'll lose fat and weight while keeping and improving your muscle.
  • Chromium - breaks down glucose and fatty acids more efficiently within the body; a deficiency can cause drastic increases in insulin and glucose levels and can lead to cravings for fattening sweets.
  • Glucomannan - a dietary fibre that can increase to 17 times its volume, giving you a feeling of fullness and satisfaction. Clinical studies show those who take glucomannan are more likely to stick to their diet and are also more likely to lose weight.
  • Green Tea Extract - a strong antioxidant (free radical fighter) that is also a thermogenic fat burner.
  • Vanadium - an insulin mimic that is reported to have a favourable effect on carbohydrate metabolism and is also beneficial for thyroid function.
Would this be something relatively safe in your opinion?

Answer:

Unfortunately I have not heard of Forskolin and was unaware of some of the properties stated for chromium. Until I see some bona fide research regarding the benefits of the product, I would have to recommend that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is not a substitute for common sense in eating behaviors and exercise.

JM

[Editor's comment: Also, see Herbs and other Supplements at the Diabetes Monitor for more information. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: See our section on Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Diabetes. JSH]

DTQ-ONCLTE20030215
Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations and Weight and Weight Loss

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.