Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA:

My seventh grade son takes care of all his diabetes needs by himself, but his school is making things hard for us. First of all, they are fighting my request for a 504 Plan. They say they don't have to give him one, but if they do it would have to apply under this heading "Substantially limits a major life activity" in order to be considered, and I'm not sure this is right. I want a 504 Plan mainly to address his extracurricular activities and mandated state testing procedures.

He plays is on the extra curricular sports teams. If it is at an away or late game, I have to attend the game so that I can bring him a sack dinner with his insulin shot. If I can't go, he can't participate because the coaches will not carry his syringes, and he is not allowed to. I believe this is discrimination. What do you think?


Section 504 plans are developed to assist students in a regular educational setting who have a disability or health condition that "substantially limits a major life activity". This could include learning. If you feel that your child is not within this category and is getting along fine in school, then your child does not need a 504 Plan. In my opinion, 504 Plans are not intended to encompass school extracurricular activities like sports teams, unless such activities take place as a part of the regular school day and are required of all students.

For more information about 504 Plans and kids with diabetes, take a look at the information developed by the American Diabetes Association. You can also contact the Illinois Board of Education at (312)814-5560 (Chicago) to request assistance in dealing with your school district.


Original posting 3 Mar 2003
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.