Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Brockport, New York, USA:

My 28 year old son-in-law has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years., and since my seven year old grandson has been showing symptoms (excessive fluid intake, excessive urinating, excessive sweating) for about 3 years, his father tests his glucose level monthly., and last evening it was 342 mg/dl [19 mmol/L]. He was taken to his pediatrician, but as usual, the pediatrician asked my daughter "Do you want him to have it?" Should my grandson be sent to a specialist at this point? Are there any preventive measures?


I would seek care from a physician who will objectively review these concerns and do appropriate lab testing as soon as possible. If your grandson indeed has diabetes, now is the time to seek care.


Original posting 20 Mar 2003
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.