Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Hartland, Maine, USA:

The nurse at my son's school isn't there all the time because she goes to all of the schools in the district, and neither teacher nor the secretary are not comfortable learning how to use glucagon or testing his urine if he is high. I don't feel comfortable sending him there since they don' t know what to do if he needs help. What should I do about this?


The law requires that someone in the school be trained to take care of your son's diabetes needs in the absence of a school nurse/ However, thismay exclude using a Glucagon Emergency Kit.

I suggest that you request a meeting to establish a 504 Plan for your son which would outline the school's responsibilities with regard to his diabetes management.


Original posting 13 Apr 2003
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.