From South Africa:

My male friend takes high doses of insulin daily, manages his diet well, is a farmer who has reasonably high stress levels (not extreme), and has a problem with maintaining a reasonable blood-sugar level. I believe it should read at a level of 4-5 mmol/L [72-90 mg/dl], but it constantly jumps to a level of 8 mmol/L [144 mg/dl].

Your friend is very lucky to have a concerned friend like you. You have to look at the blood sugars before meals (should be less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]), after meals (should be less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after you start eating) and the hemoglobin A1c (should be less than 6.5%). If your friend is not achieving these goals and his family practice physician cannot help him get there, then he should see a diabetes specialist. Having high blood sugar over time greatly increases the risk of serious complications.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.