From Rock Hill, South Carolina, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, so we check my seven year old son's blood sugar about once a month just to make sure his numbers are in the normal range. Every time we've checked, it's been normal, but this morning, about an hour after a big breakfast, he complained of not feeling well so sister took his blood sugar, and it 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L]. After two juice boxes, it was 62 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L], about two hours later, it was 138 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L], and tonight it is 89 mg/dl [4.9 mmol/L]. Could a low blood sugar reading after having consumed a lot of sugar at breakfast have any meaning? Should I consult my son's pediatrician?

Testing your son in the manner is likely to reveal an occasional blood sugar that is out of the normal range. I would not suggest testing your son unless he has symptoms of diabetes. In addition, I would suggest talking to his pediatrician about the testing results you've seen thus far.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.