From New York, New York, USA:

I recently went to my gynecologist who was concerned about "a little" sugar in my urine. Could that be a sign of diabetes?

Most healthy adults do not show sugar in their urine until their blood sugar is at least 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L], which is high. Diabetes cannot be accurately diagnosed with a urine test. You need to see your primary care provider as soon as possible to have a blood test to see if you may have diabetes, or prediabetes.

Additional comments from Dr. Alan Schorr:

Glucose in the urine does not necessarily indicate diabetes mellitus. You would need additional tests such as a blood glucose. You cannot diagnose diabetes with simply a urine glucose, just as one cannot treat diabetes based on urine glucose.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.