Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Surprise, Arizona, USA:

My 36 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age 10, and her control is not always good. She is a single parent, has had episodes of low blood sugar, and my 11 year old grandson was present during many of these. He is very close to her and does not travel very far from her. He has been affected by them and worried about the possible death of his only parent.. Are there support groups and/or therapists who would offer help for a child with a parent who has diabetes?


Yes, there are many ways that your grandson can get support and help. He is already receiving help and support from you, which is very, very important. Most diabetes teams have social workers and/or psychologists as part of their team, and your grandson would certainly be helped by speaking to one of those members of his health care team. His pediatrician may also be able to recommend a counselor to talk to. Finally, his school social worker will likely be a great source of support for him.


Original posting 3 Oct 2003
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.