Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Lake Elsinore, California, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago, and the doctor mentioned that at this stage her immune system had destroyed about 80% of her pancreas. Is there anything that can be done to maintain the other 20%?


Attempts to conserve residual islet cell function at the onset of clinical diabetes have been both extensive and disappointing. Two major trials, one in the U.S.of small doses of insulin (DPT-1) and another of nicotinamide in Europe and Canada have recently failed to show any advantage. There are still a number of other trials going on including one of MMF, a transplant immunosuppressive, and another of anti CD-3 another way of interrupting the autoimmune process. Yet other trials are exploring the hugely complex problem of islet cell regeneration in the face of continuing autoimmunity.


Additional comments from Dr. Andrea Scaramuzza:

Today, the only thing that works to maintain residual beta cell function is immunotherapy, but in my experience, this therapy is not well tolerated, and today this therapeutical option is not pursued by many diabetes centers around the world. Surely, the stem cell option is more interesting for the future of our children, but I think that it will be working in some years (and truly I don't know to quantify them for sure, but if you think well insulin itself was found only 80 years ago, so you have to be optimistic for your daughter).


Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

There is literature that control helps preserve pancreas function so that is what I recommend and try to do.


Original posting 2 Nov 2003
Posted to Research: Cure


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.