Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Warrington, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am an LPN in Pennsylvania, unmarried, and have had type 1 diabetes for 15 years. I am 25 years old. My problem is that I took a job through an agency which states two important things:

  1. I am not allowed to work with anyone that my nationwide agency has a contract with for two years after I would quit.

  2. To maintain medical insurance, I must maintain 32 hours per week.
This isn't always easy and, frankly, it's more than stressful to fight to maintain these hours, sometimes working several days a week for 12+ hours and then still being called off. I have become incredibly stressed out and depressed due to this, not to mention that I am having erratic blood sugars. I would like to know if there are any medical insurance companies from whom I could obtain insurance without an employer?


There are many options that are available to you. However, they won't be inexpensive. I recommend that you look over the information at the Health Insurance Information Center created by the Georgetown University School of Health Policy. It provides state by state information of how to obtain and keep health insurance. The web address is


Original posting 19 Feb 2004
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.