Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Anchorage, Alaska, USA:

My husband, has really rare Goodpasture's, Pulmonary Chronic-Fibrosis, Atrial Fib, a pacemaker, is on Plasmaphlersis, because of high steroids, Prednisone, and Cytoxan. I believe he has developed type 2 diabetes. At night, his bedtime blood sugar is between 113 and 125 mg/dl [6.2 to 6.9 mmol/L], with seven to eight hours to go before breakfast. The other morning, at 4:34 a.m., his blood sugar was 66 mg/dl [3.6 mmol/L]. I had to feed him a fruit bowl rather quickly to help him. It really scared both of us. He is very grouchy and stressed. I have asked his doctor. He says my husband can eat anything he wants. He is an excellent doctor. He just does not like diet questions. What is a good, low protein, because of his kidney failure problem; low potassium, because of his limit of 2400 mg per day; low phosphorus because of low limit of 1100 per day, nighttime snack for him? I think I may not survive this even though I am a certified nursing assistant and trained to be a registered nurse.


It sounds as if your husband would benefit from meeting with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. Meal plans nowadays are more individualized in order to increase adherence and normalize blood sugars. In light of all the other health conditions, your husband's meal plan needs to be individualized to meet his health needs.

To find such a dietitian, you can:

  1. Contact any nearby diabetes program, which may be located at a hospital, or medical school

  2. Contact the local office of your national diabetes association

  3. In the US, you could also call 1-800-TEAM-UP-4, a service of the American Association of Diabetes Educators.


Original posting 20 Mar 2004
Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:56
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.