Question:

From Montcalm, West Virginia, USA:

My 12 year old daughter has been having very good blood sugars, such as 124 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L] and 79 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] at meal times. Since she is becoming very active outside, I was cutting back on her insulin. She takes 15 units of Lantus and a sliding scale of Humalog, but then I got concerned about ketones. The doctor said to make her eat more, but my daughter eats well already. She was swimming in our pool and I gave her a granola bar. When she got out her sugar was 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L]. At dinner, it had gone up to 375 mg/dl [20.8 mmol/L]. I gave her eight units of Humalog at 6:00 p.m. She went back out to play, no swimming, just goofing around and at 7:00 p.m. her sugar was 46 mg/dl [2.6 mmol/L]. She ate a good size portion of spaghetti. Would the reduction in the Lantus make a difference? The lows scare me to death and I tend to overcompensate. She is on five shots a day, one with each meal and one at snack time, plus Lantus at bedtime.

Answer:

Unfortunately, you have not given enough data to determine a pattern in your daughter's blood glucose levels. Furthermore, this forum is really not designed to make specific recommendations, especially those that might involve specific insulin dose changes. You should maintain a dialogue with your current diabetes team.

I will add, however, that perhaps you should talk to your diabetes about consideration for discontinuing or adjusting the "sliding scale." Perhaps you are ready to dose the short-acting insulin based on her actual carbohydrate consumption at meals and snacks rather than a more arbitrary sliding scale.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Hyperglycemia and DKA

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.