Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Alliance, Ohio, USA:

My daughter remarried since the birth father of my grandson, who is six and has type 1 diabetes, went his separate way with another woman before my grandson's birth. I gave the birth father permission to come and see his son at my house four years ago after a chance encounter at a grocery store. All the father wanted to do was complain about having to pay child support. My grandson was with me at the time. Even though the father spoke to me about a half hour about child support, he did not speak once to his son, nor even give him a kiss on the cheek. At the time, I gave the father my address, phone number, and the times I would have my grandson at my house, giving him permission to come and see him. I told him that he could see him, but he couldn't take the boy because of a previous incident in which the birth father and his girlfriend were drinking, leaving the boy in the care of his other grandmother, who did not know how to deal with the boy's diabetes. I was called to pick up my grandson and we did not see the birth father for a long time.

It is now four years later. The birth father has seen a lawyer to get visitation rights and, I believe, even more! The father was an alcoholic and smokes a lot of dope. I am really worried. My grandson spends a lot of time with me and I have found that most of the people around know very little about type 1 diabetes, especially his irresponsible birth father. I'm really worried about my grandson and would adopt him myself since he spends a lot of time with my younger daughter and I. We take him to recreation places quite a bit in the summer.

Is there any advice you can give me on this situation? Are there any type of social services that really know about type 1 diabetes and the protection of my grandson's health? I am afraid that they will kill my grandson or put him in danger from high blood sugar levels or low blood sugar levels. I really don't think that the lawyer has my grandson's best interest in mind. He just wants his money. Is there any way I can stop this?


The situation you describe is extremely complicated, and one that cannot be answered in just a paragraph or two. The best thing you can do is help your daughter hire an excellent lawyer with expertise in child custody and visitation issues.


Original posting 27 Jun 2004
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.