Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Summit, Missouri, USA:

My 15 year old diabetic son will be traveling to Japan for a week with a school group and will be staying in the home of a Japanese student. We tried to obtain a medical identification bracelet in Japanese but were unsuccessful. We will, of course, make certain that his chaperones and the family he is staying with are well versed in the issues. But, we are looking for any suggestions for his stay there for trying to make sure that anyone else he might happen to be around in an emergency situation would know of his condition.


What a great experience for your son. Here are several links to assist with traveling with diabetes. See I Have Diabetes and Traveling With Diabetes.


[Editor's comment: You may wish to see if a local language school, such as Berlitz, can provide you with a brief, written document, in Japanese, for your son to carry along on the trip. There should be a Berlitz or other type school in St. Louis or Kansas City. BH]

Original posting 9 Oct 2004
Posted to Traveling and Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.