Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Federal Way, Washington, USA:

I would like to create an IEP for my daughter. Who do I talk to about this? My daughter is new to a school in our area and the teacher stated that she planned to force her to stay up with the rest of the class. The teacher stated that she did not feel diabetes should be considered a disability and that my daughter should be able to learn just like any other student. As of present, we have never used her diabetes as an excuse for anything. We have only been with this teacher for two weeks.


Historically, children with type 1 diabetes are protected under Section 504 and some children, who demonstrate that diabetes interferes with academic performance, are protected under IDEA. It should be noted that, in order to qualify under 504, it need not be shown that diabetes impacts learning, only a major life activity such as eating, caring for oneself, metabolism, etc. You, as the parent, should contact the school principal to initiate the process. For more information, please call the ADA at 1-800-DIABETES.


Original posting 13 Dec 2004
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.