From Louisville, Kentucky, USA:

I am 37 weeks pregnant and had an Emergency Room visit the other night for abdominal pain that turned out to be indigestion. The blood test they did showed a blood sugar level of 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L]. Today, at my OB/GYN appointment they scheduled me for a three hour test in the morning. At this stage in my pregnancy, will I more than likely be placed on a controlled diet and wait for the due date to arrive or does this mean that I will more than likely be induced? My doctor kind of beat around the bush and didn't give me much of an answer so I was wondering what the routine procedure normally is in this case.

I just came across your question. You may already be delivered by now. Nevertheless, at this late gestation, with a new diagnosis of gestational diabetes you will probably be started on a diet. There is no indication for early delivery.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.