Question:

From Lamar, Missouri, USA:

My seven year old son recently had an A1c reading of 5.9. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes while pregnant with him and still have the condition. I was told that he could be predisposed to juvenile diabetes. Is this true? Should I be concerned with his reading?

Answer:

Having gestational diabetes will increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life. It typically does not influence a child's risk of developing type 1 diabetes. A typical hemoglobin A1c can range from 4.5 to 5.5 in someone who does not have diabetes. I would review the result with your pediatrician.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Diagnosis and Symptoms

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.