Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Wantagh, New York, USA:

My husband is obese and doing very poorly with his diabetes. We are looking for a rehabilitation facility of sorts for him, for weight loss, exercise, and diabetes treatment. We live in New York and he doesn't fly.


I'm not sure if you mean residential treatment or out-patient. Since weight loss is a long term process, I think you should consider a long term plan such as an out-patient diabetes center with a team approach to manage the diabetes and offer nutritional counseling. You can find a recognized program through the American Diabetes Association. In addition, you should consider consulting with a weight loss expert such as Dr. Louis Aronne on York Avenue in Manhattan, 212-583-1000, who has a great deal of experience with people like your husband. You should also consider whether he may be a candidate for bariatric (obesity) surgery as another option.


Original posting 15 Dec 2005
Posted to Other and Type 2


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.