From Burlington, Ontario, Canada:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year at the age of 20 months. My husband has ulcerative colitis, another autoimmune disease. Knowing that type 1 diabetes in an autoimmune disorder what are our chances of having another child with diabetes or another autoimmune disorder?

Ulcerative colitis and type 1 diabetes, while both autoimmunopathies, usually do not increase the risk of one of the other in the same patient. Type 1 diabetes' other autoimmune disorders include thyroid problems (about 20 to 40% with positive antibodies and about 10 to 20% with thyroid function abnormalities that need treatment), celiac disease (about 5 to 8%) and then, more rarely, Addison's disease, pernicious anemia, and rheumatoid arthritis. Many other autoimmune disorders are not more likely in association with type 1 diabetes, so, probably there is some genetic overlapping.

Posted to Other and Genetics and Heredity

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.