From Maryborough, Queensland, Australia:

My grandmother has diabetes and has a blood glucose meter. I used her lancing device to check my three year old son's blood sugar, which he had wanted to do. He hadn't had anything since lunch. When I pricked his finger at 6 p.m., his blood sugar was 10.3 mmol/L [185 mg/dl]. I am positive he hadn't consumed anything but water since 12:45 p.m. He has had black marks, like he is tired, under his eyes for a few months. What should I do? Are the black marks under his eyes something about which I should be concerned?

First of all, I'd ask your pediatrician to check your son's fasting blood sugar and do a urinalysis to rule out any doubt regarding possible diabetes.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.