From St. Johns, Michigan, USA:

My four year old daughter had a glucose test after a 12 hour fasting. Her initial blood sugar was 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L]. She then drank a sugary drink provided by the doctor, waited two hours, and had a second blood sugar reading of 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L]. Her doctor is very concerned over her initial reading of 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L], but is confused over the second blood sugar. A week before her test, she had a sinus infection and was placed on Zithromax for five days. This was two days before her glucose test. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes run in my family. Two of my mom's sisters had type 1.

Could the sinus infection or Zithromax had an effect on the results? She also had a finger prick test about a month before, one-half hour after drinking an orange drink from McDonald's. Her blood sugar was 153 mg/dl [8.5 mmol/L].

Sometimes you provide data that is confusing. I think the most important piece of information is the fact that at two hours after a glucose challenge, your daughter's blood sugar was 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L]. This is considered normal.

We see occasional sugars that we cannot explain in children. My best guess is your daughter may have had a dirty finger for the fasting check, but I may be wrong.

Regardless, it is impossible to diagnose diabetes with that GTT.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.