Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

I am a college student and I have a question about insurance. Is it possible to find health insurance outside of an employer? Right now, I am able to be on my mom's health plan, but if I decide to go to school longer than I am able to stay on her plan, I will need my own insurance. I would also like to work in a contractor's position after I graduate, meaning that I would not be under a company to receive their benefits. How should someone with type 1 diabetes deal with this situation?


I commend you for thinking ahead on how to keep your health insurance in force without looking at a break in coverage. Kids who age-out of their parent's health insurance should be able to convert the coverage into an individual coverage. It's not cheap, but it is better than no coverage at all. In addition, many states have a coverage risk pool that offers coverage for folks with chronic disease and other conditions. For more information check out the Consumer's Guide to Health Insurance sponsored by the Georgetown University School of Health Policy, specifically, A Consumer's Guide to Getting and Keeping Health Insurance in Nevada.


Original posting 7 Aug 2006
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:08
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.