Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From New York, USA:

My girlfriend is moving out of her house and in with me soon, so she will no longer be on her parents' insurance. What insurance company should she use to get insulin and other medical supplies?


Kids who come off their parent's health insurance due to attaining legal age or some other event should be able to convert the coverage into an individual coverage. It's not cheap, but it is better than no coverage at all. Contact the health insurance company for more information regarding the right of conversion. In addition, many states have a coverage risk pool that offers coverage for folks with chronic disease and other conditions. For more information, check out the Consumer's Guide to Getting and Keeping Health Insurance In New York sponsored by the Georgetown University School of Health Policy.


Original posting 18 Sep 2006
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:08
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.