Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Poland, Maine, USA:

This is in follow-up to a recent question regarding to my almost daughter. She continues to have symptoms of diabetes, including tummy aches, headaches, dizziness, increased thirst, and fatigue. I have tried discussing this with the physician's assistant at her pediatrician's office but he tells me not to worry and not to test her anymore. He has ordered a CT scan of her head for her headaches.

In the meantime, my daughter is still having high blood sugars. Before breakfast, she was in the 130s mg/dl [7.2 to 7.7 mmol/L] and she was 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L] after eating a roll and some fried mozzarella cheese. The headaches seem worse when her blood sugars are elevated.

The pediatric endocrinologist she saw said we didn't need to be concerned unless her blood sugar is over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. He was not a diabetic specialist. But, how do I know if her blood sugars are over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] if her doctor says not to test her anymore? I have been testing her only when she has been having symptoms. When would be the best time to test? Should I see about taking her to a pediatric endocrinologist that specializes in diabetes? I don't want to ignore this and have her blood sugars go way up and have her end up very sick in the hospital, but I seem to be hitting a brick wall with her regular doctor.


If you don't feel your needs are being met, it may be time to find another doctor. Pediatric endocrinologists are typically experts in caring for children with diabetes. Many board certified pediatricians who take care of many children with diabetes (pediatric diabetologists) are equally helpful to families caring for children with diabetes. A board certified pediatrician should be very helpful to you assisting you with ruling out or testing for the presence of diabetes. It may take some time to observe your child also -- these answers don't always come quickly.


Original posting 4 May 2007
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:12
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.