Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Yorba Linda, California, USA:

My 23-year-old nephew has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 13. He currently resides in Oregon. He just lost his job and is currently without medical insurance. He plans to come live with my family here in California. I want to know what, if any, aid if available to him until he can get a job and get insured. Is there any public aid available to help pay for insulin? What are his options if he needs to be hospitalized and can't pay?


I am not familiar with the eligibility requirements for the Medi-Cal program for single men new to the state. Your nephew will have to apply upon his moving to California. If he had medical insurance through his last employment, he may be eligible for COBRA continuation for up to 18 months. There are time limits for applying for COBRA coverage. However, if it is available, it is his best option.


Original posting 16 Dec 2007
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.