Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Mamaroneck, New Jersey, USA:

For a second year in a row, my son's public middle school refuses to give him a 504 plan. The guidance counselor in charge said he doesn't need one, only an individualized health plan. All other diabetic students have a 504, however, the other two students I know do have additional health and learning issues. Should I be satisfied with the individual health plan or does my son need a 504 plan? I am confused about what to say to the school.


Please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES for some specific help with your challenge.

An individualized health plan is not a substitute for a Section 504 Plan. The development and implementation of a 504 plan reflects a process by which a child is determined to be 504 eligible, therefore, entitled to services and related aids to meet the child's needs as required by federal law. An individualized plan addresses medical needs, but usually does not provide how these needs to will be met. In addition, the IHP does not address needed academic and extracurricular modifications. Finally, a 504 plan is an agreement developed under federal law that requires the school to meet the needs of the eligible child as specified by the plan. The IHP does not create this legal obligation.

Please call ADA at the number above and also take a look at the ADA's web page on School Discrimination, which contains a wealth of information and materials that you may want to share with your son's guidance counselor so that she or he may gain an understanding of how and why children with diabetes have historically been determined to be 504 eligible.


Original posting 5 Apr 2008
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.