Question:

From Scottsdale, Arizona, USA:

Based on the following laboratory values received today, what type of diabetes might I have and how might it best be treated? My fasting blood sugar was 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L], A1c 8.4, GAD <1, and C-Peptide 1.0. I am a 37-year-old Caucasian male, 5 feet, 10 inches tall and I weigh 149 pounds. My BMI is 21. My LDL was 79, triglycerides 59, HDL 40, and blood pressure 110/75. My blood sugar does not respond to metformin, no matter what dose is used.

Answer:

I would be concerned you may have a form of late-onset autoimmune diabetes of adulthood (LADA). In most cases of LADA, there is a positive anti-GAD antibody. However, your thin body habitus, lack of a dyslipidemia profile, and inability to respond to maximum dose metformin suggest insulinopenia, the need for insulin therapy. I take it the C-Peptide was drawn fasting. It is sometimes worthwhile to check the C-Peptide after a meal challenge. The other thought is that when there has been profound hyperglycemia for a long time, the insulin-producing cells don't make much insulin, even with type 2 diabetes. Using insulin up front and then checking for C-Peptide response to meal challenge may also be helpful.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and LADA and MODY

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.