Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Terre Haute, Indiana, USA:

I am just curious to know what blood tests a type 1 diabetic should have routinely, other than an A1c. Also, what role should the family doctor play when getting a yearly check-up? Should I depend solely on the endocrinologist for care or is there care that our family doctor should provide as well? I have just noticed that my children rarely get any blood test other than an A1c and I was wondering if that's enough or if they should also have tests such as a CMP (complete metabolic profile) for kidney function and such?


It really depends on how long one has had diabetes. There are thyroid tests, and tests for celiac disease, kidney function and lipids. All have a place in diabetes management, however, it depends on the age of the person and duration of diabetes. For more information, see our page on the Standards of Clinical Care and the ADA's Standards of Medical Care for Patients With Diabetes Mellitus.


Original posting 4 Aug 2009
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.