Question:

From Ashburn, Virginia, USA:

Are endocrinologists using Symlin for type 1 diabetes mellitus in addition to Humalog? Was it ever being used in a a second pump? I remember young women walking around the Children with Diabetes conference wearing two pumps. My daughter has gained 20 pounds over the last four months for some unexplained reason. I thought perhaps Symlin would help.

Answer:

Symlin has been shown to have weight loss effects. I would not recommend giving Symlin via a continuous pump.That is not the recommended means for administering the drug. It has been used for patients with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Other Medications and Weight and Weight Loss

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Monday May 17, 2010 22:02:46

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.