Question:

From Lemon Grove, California, USA:

Do other children with type 1 experience the need to wiggle their toes due to an irritating "itchy" feeling between them? My seven-year-old complains of this sensation often, especially when attempting to put on socks or shoes. In the past, he has complained of the symptom in his fingers. In addition, when he was first diagnosed he developed an exaggerated eye blinking "thingy." It stopped for several months, but now seems to be permanent. The ophthalmologist claimed allergies and prescribed sunglasses. My son will be seeing a therapist to address stress and nervous habits. Do other diabetics have such concerns? Perhaps my guy is just hyper sensitive.

Answer:

This is not a recognized issue with type 1 diabetes in children.

Last Updated: Wednesday August 08, 2012 11:29:30