Question:

From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for a long time, 54 years. I am under good control with a few complications. Lately, I have been having a "pins and needles" feeling in both my hands and feet. It occurs very frequently each day and started about a week ago. I already am being treated for CAD (coronary artery disease) and have never had this symptom on a constant basis. I am scheduled for my next doctor visit in November and plan to mention it then. Does this sound like it's related to diabetes?

Answer:

It sounds very much like neuropathy caused from diabetes. Neuropathy is the most difficult complication to prevent. Typical symptoms involve the extremities, including hands and feet, because they are the longest nerves in the body and statistically have the greatest chance of being involved. The cause of neuropathy in diabetes appears to be an inhibition of the nerve to be able to produce enough energy to protect itself from the constant cellular damage it needs to repair. Symptoms are usually bilateral and they are worse at night. Early, the symptoms may be improved with blood sugar control. In your case, with good blood sugar control, it is related to the longevity. When neuropathy causes painful symptoms, like yours, or sometimes burning pain, there are medications your doctor can prescribe that will help with the pain. I would make sure to ask about these medications and how they work, as well as side effects.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Complications

Last Updated: Tuesday September 04, 2012 16:16:18