Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA:

My college-aged child will be studying abroad in the UK for six months starting in January 2014. For what kind of diabetes support, supplies, difficulties should we prepare? She uses an insulin pump.


Diabetes care in the UK is very good. The only issue is how to access them. I would recommend you and your child go through the sponsoring agency to determine if pharmaceutical services can be accessed. In addition, your child would need the guarantee that they have access to a physician with the knowledge to take care of a patient with type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump. If it is a university or college, they may already have these support structures in place. Other possibilities exist. For instance, you could mail the supplies when needed. I would see if your child can take a large store of insulin with her and would then have time to procure what is needed or arrange for a shipment if it cannot be obtained locally. Since geography is everything, knowing who and where the services are located are critical. Forward planning is necessary.


Original posting 23 Dec 2013
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday December 31, 2013 15:24:28
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.