Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

My 11-year-old daughter is going to Europe this summer. Is there an app to help with carbohydrate counting? Also, how do we read the nutrition labels? They are mainly in kJ versus grams. How do I input that in the pump? Is there an app to convert kJ or whatever the measurement is for carbohydrates, to grams?

Answer:

There actualty are many apps and almost all of them will allow you to change the setup in settings to use grams versus calories versus other units around the world. It is best to go to the iTunes store and just search nutrition and health apps. You can usually go to the individual websites and see demonstrations. Also, talk to your diabetes team; they may have some favorites. Our patients seem to like Glucose Buddy, GoMeals, Carbs and Cals. Another app, which we are not very familiar with is Figwee. It is my understanding that it costs $1.99.

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

The kJ to which you referred is for calories, not carbohydrates.

BH

Posted to Other and Meal Planning, Food and Diet

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday July 15, 2014 18:52:58

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.